RC Fornax are looking for a Principal Systems Engineer to work on a high-profile project for the UK
MOD. The role will provide exposure to a wide-variety of Electronic Warfare (EW) products and
subject-matter experts within domain, product and technology fields.
The Principal Systems Engineer will lead aspects of the group’s systems engineering whilst liaising
with a multidisciplinary team of engineering specialists including firmware, hardware, software and
the project Chief Engineer. The role will encompass all aspects of the engineering life cycle from
architecture definition through to system test and verification.
The Principal Systems Engineer will apply their knowledge and experience of systems engineering to
achieve agreed project milestones and associated deliverables, alongside mentoring and support to
team members for test, acceptance and trials activities.
SC Clearance + being a UK National is required for this role (Dual Nationality may be considered).
– Based on site at either Luton or Bristol
– 6 Months initial contract with the opportunity for a 6 month extension
• Manage collaboration with multiple design teams at all stages of the product lifecycle
• Help define a complex system architecture to enable the generation of requirements for
sub-system components, particularly complex multiprocessor cards within an Integrated
Modular Avionics infrastructure with complex security demands (System Security
• Understand and develop the interaction between hardware and software within a Software
• Use a Model Based System Engineering architectural approach to model complex software,
hardware and firmware and to model performance differences introduced by introducing
additional security infrastructure.
• Work with a variety of stakeholders to support integration, test and operational analysis
activities Contribute to resource estimation, planning, and reporting.
• Identify risks to solutions and delivery and participate in proactive risk management.
• Generation of system level verification cross reference matrix (VCRM).
• Contribute to engineering design reviews, through all stages of the systems engineering
• Achieving acceptance / certification from relevant design authorities.
• Support the development of more junior engineers, providing mentoring and coaching.
• Leading engagements with customer network to ensure cohesion and suitability of
integration activities and timelines.
What we’re looking for:
• Foundation in a relevant systems engineering domain, particularly the integration of
hardware, firmware and software
• Experience of generating requirements to enable flow down to software, firmware and
• Strong ability with DOORS software, which is essential to capture and manage requirements
to ensure traceability.
• Use of Model Based Engineering to drive the system engineering lifecycle
• Can handle a high degree of design complexity and significant levels of uncertainty.
• Experience of supporting design teams to develop complex solutions in accordance with
plans and processes.
• Self-motivated with an aptitude for problem solving and driving difficult issues to conclusion
• Excellent written, verbal, and presentational skills.
• Experience of mentoring or coaching others.
• Experience of working with a variety of internal and external stakeholders of varying
• Experience with product design and test standards for military systems, particularly DO178
• Experience of Synthetic Environments and their use in developing the overall engineering
• Experience of leading small teams.
• Experience of leading engineering gate reviews and the associated assessment of design